ggmj.de

German Giant Map Junkies
Aktuelle Zeit: Mi Jan 23, 2019 7:08 am

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 49 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Sa Jan 21, 2006 7:38 am 

ok.... so i just made my very first presentable map.. whoooo!!!, and i was wondering if some of you guys would be able to test it out for me? i think it'd work pretty well with the way you guys play.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Sa Jan 21, 2006 2:27 pm 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Just send the Map to stryke'[at]'ggmj.de ([at] = @ ^^)

I will test it and maybe give you some tips, what to optimize, or how you can realise something! :wink:

greetz Trevor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mo Jan 23, 2006 11:20 pm 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Okay, sorry for long waiting time, but finally here it is!

The first thing before start building a map should be the planing. That means, you draw a floorplan (top view preferred!). While drawing the floorplan, you think about the style of the map, so you can implicate some elements of the style into your floorplan/ architechture!
If you know what style you will use, you can build the whole geometry with some "beta" textures which you can exchange later with the final textures.
The geometry allways looks more harmonic if the textures fit. To aling a texture, theres a simple menu. Mark a texture and press f5, here you can aling/ scale a texture and change the properties! Just test with the menu and you will find out fast, what effect you can reach with it.

Theres a very important thing, which is better to learn as early as you can... "BSP-geometry-error-reducing"
There are two kinds of BSP-elements: the "Add-" and the "Subtractbrushs"
If you cut a form with a subtractbrush, you have a hole. In this hole you are only allowed to "add" something, because... ever tried to cut something into nothing? I really cant imagine how that shoul work ;)
- Nerver cut something into a subtraction-brush
Also you shouldn't add something into another add-brush!
If a brush does not really fit to another you have to move the vertexes with the vertex-editing-tool until all sites of the brush fit to near brushs.
- avoid overlapping of BSP-geometry
The results of "unclean" BSP-geometry building are BSP holes, which cause "Hall of Mirror effects"

Okay, that was the basic things... -.-

I corrected, upgraded and changed most of your map, to show you what you can do better with your next map!

To make the map more interesting, I changed the simple pillars to complex Static Meshes! (You can find prefabricated Static Meshs in the Static Mesh-browser.)

Its more a small detail, but good to know: If you place a new.weaponbase, the texture is wrong alingned. To change that you open the weaponbase-properties and clear the skin:
rightklick -> properties -> Display -> Skins => press empty button
after this little trick, the weaponbase have the right texture!

Your map was a big cube with a grass texture at the ground, a stonewall-texture at the four walls and at the ceiling a fake-backdrop surface wich shows the sky out of the skybox!
That doesn't look very realistic... so I scaled up the the cube and build stonebricks with a small way at the top around the map. The four walls of the big Cube show the sky via fake-backdrop now! You will see, it looks more realistic than before :mrgreen:

The waterplace in the middle of the map was very sensless, so I placed a Redeemer i there... now theres a reason to go there!

Now a very diffivult part! Not difficult to explain, but difficult to learn!
If you want, that the hole geometry of your map looks good, interesting and harmonic you have to learn, how to connect the BSP and Static Mesh geometry!
If you want to place a Static Mesh the way it looks "included into the geometry" you have to cut some indentations in the BSP-geometry where you can place the Static Mesh! You will see exactly what I meen on the following picture! The real difficulty is, to place the right Static Mesh matching to the rest of the geometry and textures.

There will be many questions now (i think) :mrgreen: .. just ask if you diddn't understand something...
I hope you could understand my "school-english" :roll: otherwise... ask!

greetz Trevor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mo Jan 23, 2006 11:27 pm 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Well.. like allways I forgot something!

If you build a brush, allways use sizes like 4, 16, 32, 1024 and so on... I don't know the english word for that kind of numbers.. in german its called "zweier-potenzen" :mrgreen:

If you use this kind of numbers, the textures will fit to the polygons!
The next thing is, to build all your BSP-geometry fitting to the "grid" ... thats a kind of clean mapping, wich reduces errors like BSP-holes and "Hall of mirror effects"

greetz Trevor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mo Jan 23, 2006 11:54 pm 

wow... that's uh... that's a lot of stuff. well anyways, the map looks amaaaaazing now. but yeah, i understood the english well enough in what you said, i just have no idea what you're talking about. one thing about the map though, did you still leave it dark? i wanted the map to be nice and dark, so that it'd be hard to see people through the pillars and stuff. also, how would i make it so that instead of it being stars all around, the stars were above and the ground extended out on the sides, to make it look like it was still on earth?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Di Jan 24, 2006 1:55 pm 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Di Jan 24, 2006 2:01 pm 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Di Jan 24, 2006 2:09 pm 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mi Jan 25, 2006 1:35 am 

map looks great, but it's not quite intentionally what i planned it to be. if you took what you have, made it a lot darker, and added a billion more pillars to make it really cluttered and hard to navigate it would be perfect. but besides that, it's a job very well done :D

oh and i forgot to say, feel free to use the map you made on the server, but if you do, i'd like a little credit please :mrgreen: but only a lil

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Mi Jan 25, 2006 9:08 am 
{GGMJ} - full - member

If you want to have an Atmosphere like in a horror-movie, where you barely can see 15 meters because of the high density of dark fog, then you can activate DistanceFog!

View -> Levelproperties (F6) -> ZoneInfo -> bDistanceFog => True

Now the Fog is enabled, but you have to give the right color and distance to reach the right atmosphere!
View -> Levelproperties (F6) -> ZoneLight -> DistanceFogColor => [A = 128; B = 38; G = 32; R = 32]
View -> Levelproperties (F6) -> ZoneLight -> DistanceFogEnd => 4096
View -> Levelproperties (F6) -> ZoneLight -> DistanceFogStart => 16
Thats just an exapmle, wich maybe looks good... just test around with it and you'll learn fast how to use the Fog!

The Lighting:
I added a sunlight in your map with a dark-blue ambience... if you want to change the lighting, then change the LightColor and Lighting in the sunlight properties! The sunligt illuminates constantly and realistic in one direction. The lightsources are all FakeBackdrop textures wich schow the sky.
I suggest to use sunlights for illuminating big areas, cause the shadows look well, better then Ambientbrightness!

greetz Trevor

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Fr Jan 27, 2006 3:05 pm 
so you guys gunna use that map? because that'd be pretty cool

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Mär 02, 2006 1:50 am 

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Do Mär 02, 2006 11:11 am 
{GGMJ} - full - member

Try the Weekends! someone should be on at 2 - 3 in the morning ... good luck :wink: hihi

greetz Trevor

BeitragVerfasst: Do Mär 02, 2006 11:53 am 

Batosay did anyone give you the link to get an easy timediefference - checkup?
I know we have had this link here. But i can`t find it. (iam "groggy" in case of illness.)

sry for my denglich leo

Kann jemand den link nochmal hineintun, bitte?

EDIT / 3DC
http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: Sa Apr 22, 2006 3:24 am 

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 49 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde